Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Gardening




This weekend we planted some things in our new suburban garden. I really think we've started to create a peaceful spot which I hope to enjoy in the morning with a cup of coffee...and in the evening with a glass of wine and my husband (and maybe in the afternoon with a book).

The kids had a great time planting - most were from plants in pots, but for fun we planted sugar snap peas from seed. The girls thought it was so funny that the seeds looked just like the inside of the one's we eat (except a bit dried). I hope the plants grow so we can produce our own seeds for next year. I'm not enjoying all the watering, but so far I think we're getting a lot out of this "science" unit.

Tomorrow I plan to get out and plant the tomatoes and blueberries into the pots, move the hydrangea from the swale, and plant pumpkins and gourds from seed... For future reference, here's what we put into the ground so far this year....dwarf horsetail, lambs ears, corkscrew, paper daisies, morning glories, wave petunias, hydrangea, sage, french lavender, regular lavender, lemon mint, peppermint, lemon basil, cilantro, lemon balm, rosemary, cinnamon basil, purple sage, parsley, sweet basil, pineapple sage, greek oregano, catnip, spinach, cucumber, broccoli, brussel sprouts, sugar snap peas, and watermelon.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Swale? I didn't realize how educational your blog would be!